Saturday, July 25, 2009

Creamy Garlic Dressing

The other day I ran out of the spring mix lettuce I regularly use to make our dinner salads. I managed to find a head of iceberg in the drawer and decided to make a quick salad using this refreshing, crisp lettuce instead. Unfortunately, my honey-dijon balsamic vinaigrette doesn't work particularly well with iceberg lettuce. I've found that iceberg lettuce begs for a more substantial dressing like a french or ranch. I decided to make homemade creamy garlic dressing and top the salad with green onions and mushrooms. It was creamy and garlicky against the snap of the lettuce. Best of all, it was made with ingredients that I always have on hand in the house. My husband and biggest food critic approved!

Ingredients:
3 cloves of finely minced garlic (use the salting method in my earlier post to make sure you don't get big bites of garlic)

1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tbsp. milk (to thin the dressing)
salt

Assembly:
Whisk ingredients together and pour over salad. It's that simple!
pepper

No comments: