Thursday, November 5, 2009

Mexican Chicken Soup

Recently it's gotten quite a bit colder where I live, so I started craving soup. To satisfy my craving I improvised this quick and delicious spicy chicken soup. When I gave birth to my daughter, my neighbor was kind enough to bring me a soup that was very similar to this one, and it was exactly what I needed! So when I was thinking about what kind of soup to make, Mexican chicken soup came to mind. It's simple and inexpensive to make, and you can freeze or refrigerate any leftovers. Serve this with tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream, and it will be a hit in your house!

Ingredients:
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
6 cups of chicken broth (low sodium)
1 can of Rotel (petite diced tomatoes with jalepenos or habaneros)
1 medium potato, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 minced cloves of garlic
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. cumin
1/2-1 tbsp. salt
black pepper
juice of 1 lime or lemon
1 cup frozen corn

Topping suggestions:
chopped cilantro
cheddar-jack cheese
sour cream
avocado
fried tortilla strips or chips
Assembly:

Heat oil in a large pot and saute onions and potatoes for about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Add chicken broth and Rotel and bring to a boil. Add chicken breast, reduce heat to medium and cook 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken breast and cool. Shred chicken breast with forks and return to pot. Add lime juice, cumin, salt and pepper and stir. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add frozen corn and cook an additional 5-10 minutes. Spoon into bowls and top with any of the toppings suggested above.

No comments: