Sunday, April 25, 2010

Creamy Rotini Primavera

This is one of my favorite simple little comfort food recipes. I typically make it whenever my husband is out of town on business, and I want something easy and yummy that I can also eat as leftovers. It's also a great recipe because it's made from ingredients that I usually have hanging around my house. This dish is creamy and rich with just the right amount of vegetables to keep it from feeling heavy. Switch up the vegetables based on what you have or what is in season. Asparagus, green beans or zucchini are all great choices. You'll love it, and I'll bet your kids will too!
Servings: 4

Ingredients:
3 cups cooked rotini
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup frozen peas
6 mushrooms, diced
1/4 cup red pepper, diced
1 garlic clove, mashed
1 strip of bacon or prosciutto (opt.)
Kosher salt, black pepper
3 tbsp. parmesan cheese

Assembly:
Render the bacon over medium heat until cooked. Remove and crumble. Saute the peppers, mushrooms and onions for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook for one minute. Pour in the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper. Add the peas and parmesan and cook for another 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Stir in the bacon and rotini. Serve with a baguette.

No comments: