Friday, May 28, 2010

Things I can't live without in my kitchen...

Kelly's Korner is doing a tour of Things You Love, so I thought I'd put in my two cents (related to food, of course!). I started thinking of things I can't live without in my kitchen, and the list got unbelievably long! I pared it down to just a few little things that I would be heartbroken without. Here they are:
1. Kosher Salt
My absolute favorite, everyday use salt is Kosher Salt. I keep it in a little Tupperware container in a cabinet next to the stove and steal pinches out whenever I'm cooking. For savory or sweet, I just love, love, love Kosher salt.
2. My immersion blender
I can't even begin to tell you how frequently I've used this gadget. The one in the picture isn't the exact model I have (I swear by the Cuisinart SmartStick), but it shows you all of the different add-ons you can use. I use the whisk for quick whipped cream, beating eggs for omelets and making crepe batter. I use the mini-Cuisinart for fast salsas, marinades and salad dressings. The measuring cup is great because you can stick the blender right into it after measuring your ingredients. I use the blender for soups, baby foods (this has been a LIFESAVER when making all of my daughter's food!) and sauces. It's especially great because you can use it right in the pan, bowl or pot.
3. Olive Oil


There's nothing I could say that would give you an accurate picture of how great I think olive oil is! I use it for EVERYTHING. I'm not kidding you, I even use it on elbows, feet and hands to smooth out my skin (yes, it's like Windex from My Big Fat Greek Wedding was to that guy). I discovered World Market's extra virgin oil a few years ago and am hooked. It's super versatile and works well for dressings, drizzles, marinades, pestos, etc. I used to be a big olive oil snob, but this stuff is great! What's even better is that it costs about $6.99 per liter!
4. Garlic


Garlic is right up there with olive oil on my favorite ingredient list. I buy it at Sam's club for about $2.99 (for about 12 heads or so). I roast it, toast it, bake it whole and use it in just about all of my savory dishes. Delicious and healthy too!
5. Silicone Cupcake Cups
I bought two sets 12 at Crate and Barrel to make cupcakes for my daughter's 1st birthday party and am IN LOVE. Make sure you spray them down with cooking spray (this helps them pop right out and greatly decreases your cleaning time). You'll never need to use another cupcake liner or cupcake pan ever again!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I agree on the garlic, gotta have it on hand at all times!! random, but I love cupcakes and crate and barrel!!

Shoshanah said...

I love olive oil! I always try to have two bottles in the house. One nice one for special occasions, and one to use for everyday.