Friday, July 16, 2010

Bacon, Crimini and Potato Frittata

A few months ago, a reader requested that I post more casserole-type dishes. I typically don't make too many casseroles, but I do make a few tasty one-dish meals. Frittatas have to be my number one favorite! This frittata is light and delicious~ fluffy eggs filled with bacon, sliced mushrooms and a hint of mozzarella sit atop browned, thinly sliced potatoes for a delicious, one pan meal that is simple enough to whip up on a Sunday morning and impressive enough to serve brunch guests anytime! My favorite part about this dish is that it's so versatile; you can add just about any veggie or meat to this dish and it will be fabulous. Try thinly sliced asparagus, bacon or spinach. YUM.
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
5 eggs
1/4 cup milk or heavy cream
2 slices of cooked, crumbled bacon
6 sliced crimini or button mushrooms
1 small potato, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. olive oil
Kosher salt
black pepper
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
1 tbsp. grated parmesan (opt.)

Assembly:
Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter and oil together in an ovenproof saute pan. Place potatoes in an even layer and brown over medium-high heat (about 3-5 minutes). Beat eggs, salt, pepper and milk/cream. Add mushrooms, bacon and cheese to the potatoes in the pan. Pour in the egg mixture. Cook 3-4 minutes on medium heat until you see that the edges are beginning to set. Transfer to the oven and cook for about 10 minutes or until the entire top of the frittata is set. Cool for a few few minutes then cut into wedges and serve.

3 comments:

Nina said...

This sounds so gooooood. I need some suggestions for places to eat in the south on a road trip. Check out my blog and let me know what you're thinking.

I Sicilian said...

This looks so appetizing. I love frittatas and make them pretty regularly. Thanks for sharing this combo.

The Happiest Belly on the Block! said...

What do you usually put in them? I LOVE your recipes :)