Monday, August 30, 2010

Yellow Cupcakes with Classic Chocolate Frosting

These cupcakes are about as good as it gets! Moist yellow cake topped with a classic rich and creamy chocolate frosting. My husband loves to take extras to work to share, and they are always devoured quickly in our house! I love how quick and easy these cupcakes are to make; you'll definitely get your chocolate cake fix in a portable, individual serving.
Yields: about 16 cupcakes

Cupcake ingredients:

1 stick of softened butter

2/3 cups sugar

3 eggs

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. kosher salt

1/4 cup whole milk

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

2 tsp. vanilla

Cupcake assembly:
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix on medium speed until combined. Add milk and vanilla, then stir in salt, baking powder and flour. Fill cupcake molds (I prefer silicone) 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.

Frosting ingredients:

2 cups powdered sugar

1/4 cup cocoa powder

1 stick of softened butter

1/4 cup + about a tbsp. milk

2 tsp. vanilla

Frosting assembly:
Cream frosting ingredients until the color lightens and frosting is creamy and smooth. Use a piping bag with a large tip to frost each cupcake from the outside to the center. Chill before serving.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Yum!!! These look amazing, friend!

The Happiest Belly on the Block! said...

Thanks, lady! I've been on a cupcake bender ever since I bought those silicone cups from Crate and Barrel :)

I Sicilian said...

Isn't it true that everytime you get a new tool, you end up making anything in order to use it? Don't mean to say anything as in the meaning that some are not worth it. Your cupcakes look scrumptious and delightfully simple to make.

The Happiest Belly on the Block! said...

I definitely know what you mean! I've just made muffins/cupcakes so many times with the traditional pan and am LOVING the silicone cups. I probably do make more cupcakes/muffins just because it's so easy with these cups...On another note, I've always wanted a torch, but I know I will be making all sorts of stuff just to break it out and use it! ;)