Saturday, July 16, 2011

Honey-Lime Grilled Chicken Legs

So I had big plans to post my BBQ slider recipe, but I made this chicken tonight and had to get the ingredients down on the computer before they were gone from my head! I'm so excited to share this recipe~ I wasn't sure how it would turn out since I was pretty much flying blind after reading several grilled chicken recipes and deciding to scrap them in favor of playing around with some basic ingredients. This chicken turned out juicy...it was the right combination of sweet and spicy with the lime juice lending just the right hint of acidity. A slight char on the outside of the chicken created a deliciously crisp and smoky skin. I think I spent the entire meal sounding like Bubba from Forrest Gump going on and on about the different ways I plan to use this marinade again in the future (if you're interested, pork chops and grilled shrimp topped my list!). The best part is that everything in this recipe can be found on any given day in my kitchen. Those are the best recipes, aren't they?!
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
12 chicken drumsticks
3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup honey
juice of half a lime
3 large cloves of garlic
3 green onions
1 tbsp. sriracha
pepper
3 tbsp. vegetable oil (or 1 tbsp. sesame oil)
Chopped green onions for garnish (optional)

Assembly:
Soak chicken legs in a combination of six cups of water and 1/4 cup kosher salt for four hours (this is an optional step, but it just adds to the finished chicken's tenderness). Combine soy, water, honey, lime, garlic, green onions, pepper and oil then blend using an immersion blender or Cuisinart. Pour mixture into a large Ziploc bag and add the chicken. Marinate at least 3 hours (up to overnight. Grill over medium high heat (I start out high to get a good sear then reduce to medium to cook the chicken thoroughly). Make sure you watch the chicken so it doesn't burn since there are sugars in the marinade! While chicken is cooking, pour marinade into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Turn down to medium low heat until reduced by about 1/3. Brush reduction onto the chicken in the last 10 minutes of cooking (I repeat about 3 times). Remove from the grill and allow to stand for at least 5 minutes before serving (this allows the juices to redistribute). Top with chopped green onions.

No comments: