Thursday, January 14, 2010

Garlicky Remoulade

We have a Cajun restaurant near our house that makes a wonderful remoulade. The only problem is, you can't buy small amounts; you have to buy at least a pint at a time. When I decided to make crab cakes on New Year's Eve, I thought it would be a good idea to make my own remoulade, so that I would no longer have to waste so much (not to mention, it's much cheaper to make it at home!). I read a few recipes, then decided to give it a go. I ended up just piecemealing together a recipe of my own. Traditionally remoulade has celery in it, but I'm not a big fan. Below is my recipe~ the proportions are approximations, since I pretty much added and tasted my way through making it. I definitely suggest you doing the same~ this way you can control the flavors and add whatever you feel is lacking. I served this with crabcakes on New Year's, then used it to top burgers and as a dipping sauce for fries later in the week. YUM!

Makes about 6 generous servings

Ingredients:
1 cup of mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup
3 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp. horseradish
1 tbsp. dijon mayonnaise
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne
2 cornichons (mini-dill pickles)
salt
black pepper

Assembly:
Blend all ingredients in a food processor and chill for at least an hour before serving.

*Check back soon for my crab cake recipe! It goes wonderfully with this remoulade!

No comments: