Friday, December 31, 2010

Ginger Soy Poached Salmon

It's been quite some time since I've last posted! Being Mommy to a rambunctious toddler and another little lady on the way has caused me to spend most of my down time attached to my bed. Recently my husband traveled to the UK on business, so I took the opportunity to make salmon, pretty much his least favorite food. I CRAVE the stuff, and, thank goodness, it's on the good list for pregnancy! This was a totally eyeballed recipe (keep this in mind when you're making the broth!) that was so tasty I wish I'd made double. Make sure to keep the cooking liquid; it makes for an amazing fried rice the next day. Also, use whatever veggies you have on hand~ I can think of a million different veggie combinations that would be delicious.
Serves 2

Ingredients:
2 cups of prepared sticky rice (follow the directions on the packaging)
2 Atlantic salmon fillets
1/2 red pasilla (or bell) pepper, julienned
2 green onions, sliced on the bias
a handful of baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp. minced ginger (use a spoon to peel your ginger; you won't waste a bit of flesh!)
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
3-4 tbsp. light brown sugar
1 tsp. vegetable oil plus 1 tsp. sesame oil
pepper
red pepper flake to taste

Assembly:
Saute garlic and ginger in the sesame oil, then add the soy, vinegar, brown sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer. Add the salmon and cover. Cook about 6-8 minutes or until salmon is flaky and cooked through. While the salmon is cooking, saute the vegetables in the vegetable oil until translucent but still crunchy. Remove salmon to a bed of steamed sticky rice, top with the vegetables and pour some of the broth over the bowl. Reserve remaining broth and rice for fried rice tomorrow!

1 comment:

Nina said...

Oh now that sounds delicious! You'll have to stop by my blog because a couple of days ago I posted a salmon dip recipe that is soooooo good. If you like salmon you will love this one!