Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Crispy Spicy Shrimp

My new favorite food. EVER. If you've ever eaten at Bonefish Grill, this recipe is very similar to the Bang Bang Shrimp. Crispy, crunchy, spicy, sweet, tangy, rich...I could go on and on! It's so good that I can't just eat it as an appetizer~ it MUST be an entree in my house! I also love how simple it is to prepare this dish. I use the eyeball method for the sauce, just adding the different elements until I find the right balance. Tossed with the shrimp it is the perfect compliment to the crunchy, fresh lettuce and crisp green onions. Served with a toasty baguette, it's the perfect meal!
Serves 2-3 adults as an entree

Ingredients:
1 lb. peeled, deveined 31-40 ct. shrimp
kosher salt, pepper
3/4 cup cornstarch
For the sauce:
1 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cups sweet chili sauce (you can find this at most grocery stores or World Market)
1 tsp.+ sriracha (add or subtract depending on how spicy you like it!)
Additional ingredients:
2 green onions, diced
3/4 bag of lettuce mix (I really like the Very Veggie Blend by Dole...peapods, radishes, crunchy romaine)
vegetable oil (enough to fill a small-medium pot about 2 inches)

Assembly:
Combine the sauce ingredients. I like to do this about an hour ahead then refrigerate to blend all of the flavors. Dry off the shrimp and toss them with salt and pepper. Heat the vegetable oil to 375 (I like to use a candy thermometer). Toss the shrimp in the cornstarch and gently place about 6-8 shrimp into the oil. Fry for about a minute or two until the shrimp are a gentle pink through the coating. Remove to a paper towel to drain. Fry the remaining shrimp in batches until all shrimp are cooked. Toss the shrimp with the sauce, then serve on a bed of lettuce sprinkled with green onions. Serve immediately.

6 comments:

Betsy said...

That sounds really good! Easy too. I'll be trying it this weekend--thanks!

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing! This is my favorite app at a local restaurant. Now, I can make it at home!

Sonya said...

I love bang bang shrimp from the Bonefish grill!! i will have to try this recipe.

Anonymous said...

Hands down, this is better than Bonefish!! I am still thinking about the flavors and paired with the killer bread recipe -- what a fantastic dinner! Love-loved it.
Thanks for you efforts to share so many great recipes.

The Happiest Belly on the Block! said...

Thank you so much for your review; it made my day! :) I'm so glad you tried both the shrimp and the bread...we just had the bread tonight with a new chicken dish I tried (going to post it tonight, I think). Come back and visit again soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm making this for dinner tonight - so excited! Thanks for the recipe :)