Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Spicy Chicken Nachos

I have been a terrible blogger these days! I just had my second baby almost two weeks ago, and keeping up with my sweet and feisty toddler hasn't been the most conducive to blogging. Even though I've been away from The Happiest Belly quite a bit, I'm still cooking as much as ever (which means that I have lots of material for future posts!). Here's one of my new favorites~ when I was pregnant this time around, I wanted desserts and spicy foods nonstop. Spicy chicken nachos were a natural solution to the spicy cravings! These nachos and cheesy and spicy, featuring pulled chicken made using a delicious garlicky, smoky marinade then grilled and layered on the nachos. Topped with jalepenos, a quick and easy homemade salsa and a simple homemade guacamole (search in the sidebar for these recipes) along with some other goodies, these nachos will truly give you a Happy Belly!
Serves: 3-4

Ingredients:

For the chicken~
1 chicken breast
1 chipotle in adobo
juice of one lime
1 clove garlic
salt, pepper
1 tsp. cumin
1 tbsp. tequila (optional)
3 tbsp. vegetable oil

For the nachos~
1 bag of your favorite chips (I really like On the Border Rounds)
2 cups of your favorite cheese, shredded (I like jalepeno cheddar or cheddar jack) *I've made these nachos with a homemade cheese sauce, but I actually prefer the simple shredded cheese)
1/2 cup jalepenos
sour cream
lime wedges
3 chopped green onions
guacamole (from 1 avocado)
salsa

Assembly:
Pulse marinade ingredients in a food processor. Add chicken and marinate up to 4 hours (at least 30 minutes). Grill the chicken then allow it to cool before shredding it with a fork. Spread about 1/3 of the chips out on a baking sheet then top with cheese and chicken. Repeat until all of the cheese and chicken have been used. Bake for approximately 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Top with remaining ingredients and enjoy!

No comments: